Skip Navigation
History of Piney Point
In 1824, John D. Taylor received a land grant from Stephen F. Austin for a league centered on "pine point" at the southernmost turn of Buffalo Bayou.  Taylor's house became known as Piney Point.  Our research does not tell us why Taylor selected this land so distant from other settlements in the area.  It may have been due to its resources of water and timber or its natural location as a stopping point between John Harris's settlement of Harrisburg and Stephen F. Austin's headquarters in San Felipe de Austin. 

In 1844, the Board of Roads and Revenues of Harris County approved a public road from Houston (founded in 1836) to Piney Point and on to the county line.  By 1885, Piney Point was a station on the Texas Western Railroad and was part of a settlement of largely German farmers. 

In 1936, state highway maps located Piney Point near several sawmills in the area. 

In 1954 Piney Point was incorporated with an alderman form of government and by 1966 had a public school and four churches. 

The population rose from 1,790 in 1960 to 3,257 in 1990, to 3,380 in 2000, and dropped slightly to 3,125 in 2010.  As of the 2010 census there were 3,125 people, 1,064 households and 945 families residing within the city limits.  As of 2010, Piney Point Village has the highest per capita income in Texas. 

Copyright © {{YEAR}} - Piney Point Village, Texas.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM